Developing Critical Thinking Skills
Developing Critical Thinking Skills : Those who learn to think critically are able to determine whether a claim is partly true, sometimes true, false or entirely true. Just like other virtues, critical thinking is a skill that needs to be developed. Particularly, most professions require critical thinking skills in order to achieve meaningful result. When equipped with critical thinking skills, an individual is able to clarify goals, discern hidden values, examine assumptions, assess conclusions and accomplish actions.
Here are some useful and positive uses of critical thinking;
- Ability to formulate a practicable solution to both personal and general problem; in critical moments when others would have easily given up, someone with critical thinking skills will persevere until the mystery is unraveled.
- Someone with critical thinking skills is able to lead a group effectively by easily coming up with the most possible course of action at each given circumstance.
- Ability to analyze assumptions and the superiority of the techniques employed in arriving at certain scientific postulations.
- In judging a matter or solving a problem, a critical thinker is able to come up with more meaningful results. It helps an individual to solve problems reasonably and reflectively.
- An individual is most likely to be a close reader, as well as a substantive writer when equipped with positive critical thinking skills.
- …critical thinking is just “a way of taking up the problems of life”.
Any effort towards developing your critical thinking skills will involve the following;
- Sharpening your ability to recognize problems, so that you can come up with practical steps to solve the problems.
- Learning how to bring in order of precedence and prioritization while solving problem.
- Learning how to spot assumptions and values that have not been stated.
- Sharpening your skills in comprehending and using language accurately, clearly and with discernment.
- Learning to identify the presence (or absence of it) of the rational correlation existing between propositions
- Improving your ability to interpret data, evaluate evidence and assess arguments.
- Learning to test the generalizations and conclusions drawn from one’s findings.
- Acquiring the skills to re-create your belief system based on wider experience.
- Learning to give pure judgments regarding particular subjects as well as qualities from day to day.
In the bid to develop your critical thinking skills, you must learn to imbibe the following tests or rules (represented with the acronym “FILCHERS” ) as suggested by Anthropologist James Lett;
Also, in your effort to develop critical thinking skills, you must learn to criticize yourself. In essence, you must be able to criticize your own thinking in other to arrive at the best possible result.
Nik Halik THE THRILLIONAIRE® , Author of the International Best Seller: The Thrillionaire®, World’s #1 7 Day Weekend Lifestyle Strategist
Follow me on Twitter
Friend me on Facebook
Developing Critical Thinking Skills…